- Worst offenders when it comes to hurting you or the environment:
- Benzene, Toluene, Xylene, Methanol, and Ethylbenzene are chemicals commonly used in disinfectants, tub and tile cleaners, and toilet cleaners. These compounds have been linked to nerve system damage, memory loss, reproductive system damage, and an increased risk of several types of cancer.
- Bleach is a common ingredient in cleaning products, and many people buy them, believing it is necessary to get household items their absolute cleanest and whitest. But bleach is one of the most potentially dangerous and reactive substances around! When mixed with ammonia and acids it forms toxic gases that are highly irritating to the eyes and lungs.
- Formaldehyde is used in air fresheners, antibacterial detergents, and carpet cleaners, and is a known carcinogen, or cancer-causing agent, in humans.
- Fragrance is a general term that can mask the presence of allergens and known hormone disrupting chemicals like phthalates.
Look for ingredients in products that are good for you and the environment.